A Look Inside OSI’s Lifetime Warranty
Our Comprehensive Inspection and Testing Protocols
for Pre-Owned OEM Hardware
Every product we ship undergoes an extensive inspection by certified network technicians, ensuring among the lowest failure rates in the industry
Over the past decade the secondary market for network and data center hardware has changed significantly. Today an estimated $3 to $4 billion of pre-owned and surplus Cisco equipment is purchased annually by astute buyers intent on driving down costs and reducing waste. Much of the motivation to add pre-owned hardware to IT infrastructure is to reap the enormous cost savings. However, there are other fiscal advantages, including the measurable savings of reducing outages and the resultant downtime and lost productivity caused by frequent hardware upgrades and IOS software updates.
Infrastructure Valhalla: Reduced Costs While Lowering Risk
New components shipped by OEMs typically experience a 2% to 3% failure rate. This surprisingly high statistic is largely due to units which arrive with defects requiring immediate return or which fail during the “burn in” period. The “bathtub curve” widely used in reliability engineering demonstrates that the greatest risks of hazard function (failure) occur during the early failure phase. Over the expected useful lifecycle of equipment, the failure rate drops significantly following the “infant mortality” period and remains lower and constant due to unpredictable Random Failures. Toward the End-Of-Life of hardware, the failure curve rises again due to wear-out failure, an eventuality quantified by the manufacturer’s published Mean Time To Failure (MTTF) projections.
OSI Hardware’s quality inspected and tested hardware helps our customers avoid the risk, disruption, and outage costs associated with early failure. All pre-owned switches, routers, servers and optics undergo a rigorous 15-point Inspection and Testing procedure based on industry accepted best practices. By buying thoroughly tested, previously deployed hardware certified to be in “like new” condition by OSI technicians, early failure risk factors have largely been burned out or removed.
The result is an average RMA (return rate) of just .05%. Unlike many Third-Party Market (TPM) vendors offering 1-year or “limited” warranty, we provide a lifetime repair or replacement warranty. This “true” Lifetime Warranty coverage applies to all pre-owned, surplus and new-in-box hardware components sold by OSI Hardware, OSI Optics, and which qualify under our Systain IT Maintenance support programs. To maintain the highest performance standards possible, we do not sell refurbished hardware or replace any components in the units we inspect with non-OEM parts.
In the event of a failure within the first year, immediately upon notification our technical engineering support team will troubleshoot the issue until resolution or immediately approve an overnight advance replacement unit. By providing a level of support and responsiveness beyond standard OEM warranties, we consistently solve problems more quickly and help our clients avoid costly downtime and disruption of core business functions.
The protocols followed by OSI’s in-house engineers are a direct outgrowth of our expertise and countless manhours inspecting and testing OEM equipment sourced from the domestic and global secondary market. In addition to running dozens of diagnostic tests and reliability assessments, every item is subject to meticulous inspection to confirm authenticity, certify that all parts are original, and eliminate units containing refurbished components or which may be counterfeit. Following bench testing (performed twice), only optimal “like new” condition hardware is placed into inventory.
OSI Hardware’s 15-Point Inspection & Testing Process
- Upon arrival, every piece of equipment is subjected to a physical inspection to ensure there is no damage.
- All serial numbers are matched, and all manufacturer markings/labels/tamper stickers are verified intact.
- By verifying OEM identifiers early in the inspection process, we eliminate the possibility of counterfeit units and any internal components which are not genuine.
- All equipment received is verified to be free of a Cisco maintenance contract and whether it is SMARTnet eligible.
- Any missing accessories are replaced. This includes screws, slot covers, mounting brackets, and console kits.
- All equipment is tested at all voltage capabilities.
- All routers and switches are updated with the latest diagnostic software and tested at the highest level possible.
- Firmware versions are inspected to determine if it’s appropriate to upgrade to compatible and current firmware levels.
- Each unit undergoes a burn-in period once diagnostics are performed. This ensures that the equipment will arrive in “better than new” working condition.
- All slots in a chassis are populated and tested for maximum load and functionality.
- All supervisor engines, power supplies, and modules are staged and tested in the chassis before it is shipped to your location.
- All switches have every port tested to verify they operate at peak performance.
- Layer 2, 3, and 4 protocols are used to verify all equipment is configured and tested confirm manufacturer’s specified operation.
- After our thorough testing processes have been completed, the equipment is then cleaned and packaged for stock or shipping.
- All products we ship are professionally packaged with original manufacturer’s boxes or with our custom fit packaging. This will ensure that your equipment safely arrives in like new condition.